Introduction / Background
All work in Antarctica relies on a consistent geographic framework, and the main function of the Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SCAGI) is to manage and improve the geographic framework not only for Antarctic scientific research but also for other activities including operations, environmental management and tourism. SCAGI continues to deliver, and actively develop, a range of geographic information products through its various projects. These products include: the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica, the SCAR Antarctic Digital Database, the SCAR Map Catalogue and the SCAR Air Operations Planning Maps Series. These are active products that are used and valued by the Antarctic community.
SCAGI integrates topographic and names information received from national Antarctic programmes and other sources into the SCAR ADD and SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica. In keeping with Article III.1.c of the Treaty that Scientific observations and results from Antarctica shall be exchanged and made freely available, SCAGI promotes an open standards approach to support free and unrestricted data access and develops the respective specifications.
The terms of reference for SC-AGI are:
- To promote long-term preservation and accessibility of geographic information relating to Antarctica and the Southern Ocean in sustainable repositories;
- To assist in establishing Antarctic geographic information management policies, priorities and best practices;
- To encourage submission of geographic information and names information to the SCAR ADD and SCAR CGA;
- To distribute maps of Antarctica to SCAR members;
- To provide linkages to national mapping agencies and national names committees for Antarctica;
- In partnership with SCADM, to work with SCAR SSGs, COMNAP, CEP, ATCMs and the IHO to continue to develop the SCAR ADD and SCAR CGA, Feature Catalogue and related symbology;
- To create an Antarctic Spatial Data Infrastructure;
- To maintain and/or further develop the Antarctic Topographic Database, Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica, Antarctic Map Catalogue and such other products as Delegates request.