The call for SCAR INSTANT Fellowship applications is open until 31 March 2022.
The goal of SCAR INSTANT fellowships is to increase the engagement of Early Career Researchers (ECR*) in INSTANT activities and to promote participation of researchers from regions currently under-represented in INSTANT, i.e., South America, Asia and Africa.
Applications for INSTANT fellowships shall address the objectives and priority questions in INSTANT's pdf Science and Implementation plan (1.16 MB) as well as the pdf new INSTANT structure (202 KB) revised in December 2021 (Themes 1&2 were merged into a unique Theme 1).
Proposed activities may include:
- Research visits to laboratories, research groups, etc., for collaboration;
- Research synthesis, fieldwork or analyses;
- Science stakeholder engagement;
- Educational activities/capacity exchange related to Antarctic research;
- Activities to promote leadership and project management skills;
- Participation in workshops and schools to develop capability;
- Research/activities to support participation in policy decision processes;
- Science communication efforts aimed at policy making;
- Dissemination and outreach activities, e.g., production of media pieces about INSTANT activities, research highlights, etc.
INSTANT fellowships are USD $5000. Co-funding with other sources is encouraged. In this round, up to 4 scholarships will be funded.
Successful candidates will submit a short progress report after 12 months.
- PhD candidates: Applicants should be currently enrolled in a PhD programme.
- ECR: those who have obtained a PhD within 7 years of application. The period excludes career breaks due to parental leave, health issues, etc.
- Applicants from under-represented regions in INSTANT, e.g. South America, Asia, Africa.
- The visiting (host) institution must also support the application and waive bench fees.
March 31st, 2022
Before you start with the application process, be sure to have the following documents ready. Follow the templates for the project description. Applications that do not follow the templates will not be considered.
- Project description: Download and complete the project template.
- Confirmation from the host institution: Download and complete the host institution template.
- CV (max 2 pages).
- For PhDs and post-doctoral fellows: Letter of recommendation from supervisor.
- Save and submit these documents as one pdf file and name it: “LastName_Fellowship.pdf”, e.g., Gonzalez_Fellowship.pdf.
Download the templates (zip file).
If you have any questions, email to Florence Colleoni and Tim Naish.