The Expert Group on Antarctic Biodiversity Informatics supports the Antarctic and Southern Ocean biodiversity science community to come together, share resources and expertise, and ask questions on topics of data access, integration, analysis, and synthesis. Membership is inclusive and open to anyone. Members are welcome to engage with EG-ABI to whatever degree suits them, from actively collaborating in EG-ABI projects, participating in selected workshops and other events, or simply observing communication on the mailing list or other information channels. EG-ABI is led by a core group of around 10 members, who take an active role in the community, for example by leading one or more EG-ABI activities or acting as liaison with other groups.
Following discussions in 2020, we are now looking to increase our visibility and activity within the Life Sciences community, and to revamp our group membership.
To this end we are holding an online information session on the 31 March, open for all to attend. During this session we will give an introduction and overview of the EG-ABI group for those who are unfamiliar with it, review some recent projects to give you an idea of the sorts of things that we get up to, and discuss next steps. In the weeks following the meeting, we will invite expressions of interest for new members of the core group, and begin reviewing EG-ABI work plans and projects.
If this group sounds like something you might be interested in, please join us for the meeting!
Meeting date: 09:00 UTC, Wednesday 31 March 2021
Register in advance for this meeting: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwrfuquqTMjE9EIxd-l1hMTaSfphX4MWr7B
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
- 9:00 - Introduction and overview of EG-ABI (Ben Raymond)
- 9:06 - Summary of selected projects
- 9:06 - Energy and allometric equation data (Fokje Schaafsma)
- 9:12 - EG-ABI course 2019 (Grant Humphries)
- 9:18 - Retrespective Analyisis of Antactic tracking data (Yan Ropert-Coudert / Mark Hindell / Ian Jonsen)
- 9:24 - Register of Antarctic Species (Anton Van de Putte)
- 9:30 - rOpenSci (Ben Raymond)
- 9:35 - Summary of next steps (Ben Raymond)
- group structure and process for revamping group membership
- 9:40 - Discussion
- 9:50 - Close