The current UNFCCC meetings at COP25 in Madrid are the first to feature a dedicated Cryosphere Pavilion. SCAR has assisted the International Cryosphere Climate Initiative (ICCI) in organising the Pavilion which was officially opened on December 3rd at 1500 CET.
As part of the opening ceremony SCAR Delegates Jerónimo López-Martínez (Spain) and Marcelo Leppe (Chile) presented on the topic of "Antarctica Past, Present and Future: Sea Level Rise".
The Cryosphere Pavilion will be hosting events throughout the meetings and the latest programme can be accessed via the Facebook page:
All side events are being live streamed, so you can find current and past presentations on the Youtube channel:
The outline schedule for the Pavilion is:
- Youth and Early Career Scientists Day: Dec 2
- Mountain Glaciers and Snow Days: Dec. 3 and 11
- Ice Sheets Days: Dec. 4 and 10
- Permafrost Day: Dec. 5
- Sea Ice: Dec. 6
- Cryosphere Action Day: Dec. 7
- Polar Oceans (Acidification/Freshening/Warming): Dec. 9
- National Action and Policy Response Days: Dec. 12