Brenda Ailin Segurel earned her BA in International Relations from Universidad del Salvador, Buenos Aires, with a thesis on geopolitics and Antarctic history. Her interest in Patagonia and Antarctica has led her studies and work in different areas such as risk management and communication, history and geopolitics, environment and conservation, conflict and peace, glaciers and meteorology. Specifically she has studied Antarctic history and geopolitics from a South American perspective. She is currently conducting studies on sports and Antarctic history, especially the history of skiing in Antarctica. She divides her time between different mountain activities, independent research, writing and teaching Spanish language.
- Research projects / interests:
- Antarctic history and geopolitics
- Mountain sports and its implications in geopolitics (conquest and exploration of Antarctica)
- Patagonia and Antarctic: peacebuilding history
- Glaciers, meteorology and environmental risk
- Preservation and natural resources (as part of war and geopolitical studies)
- Tourism in Antarctica and the collective imagination (travel books, utopias)
Keywords: History, Geopolitics, Patagonia, Skiing, Tourism, Travel, Environment.