XXXVII SCAR Delegates Meeting
5-7 September 2022, Goa, India
SCAR XXXVII Paper 21: Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SC-AGI)
Agenda Item: 5.3
Person Responsible: Fei Li
Report Authors: SCAGI members
The highlights of SCAGI for the period of 2020-2022 are as follows:
- SCAGI published the International Principles and Procedures for Antarctic Place Names as SCAR Report 41 in October 2021. SCAGI and its Place Names Working Group are now publicising the report and promoting putting recommendations into practise.
- Updates to the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica (CGA). As of 18 July 2022, the number of place names in the CGA is 39,136 (2020: 37,974), referring to 20,440 recognized different features (2020: 19,897).
- Updates to the SCAR Map Catalogue. The Australian Antarctic Data Centre continues to manage the application and content for the SCAR Map Catalogue. The application has a new web address – mapcatalogue.aq.
- Air Operaration Planning Maps (AOPM). Australia is about to publish 1 updated map, map 10, and 5 new maps, maps 17-21, completing coverage of the Antarctic coastline in this SCAGI series.
- Seven new national representatives joined the SCAGI family, and Louise Ireland from the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) was elected as the new co-chair due to the former co-chair Paul Morin’s retirement.