Antarctic Volcanism (AntVolc) Expert Group - 2018-19 Report
Expert Group of the Geosciences Group
Report Author: Adelina Geyer (Spain)
Summary of activities:
- Group membership of approx. 110 members, representing 16 countries.
- Adelina Geyer took over from John Smellie as Chair at the end of 2018.
- The AntVolc website (https://antvolcscar.wordpress.com/) is under continuous update and AntVolc Twitter (@antvolc) and Facebook accounts have been created.
- AntVolc “White Paper” Workshop being planned for the end of 2019 or into 2020.
- Organisation of four scientific sessions at major international conferences - SCAR & IASC POLAR 2018 (Davos, Switzerland - June 2018); EGU 2019 (Vienna, Austria - April 2019); IUGG 2019 (Montreal, Canada - July 2019); XIII ISAES 2019 (Incheon, Korea - July 2019).
- The major AntVolc deliverable is a landmark review volume titled ‘Volcanism in Antarctica: 200 million years of subduction, rifting & continental break-up’ and writing is well underway.