SCAR Executive Committee Meeting
31 July - 2 August, Brno, Czech Republic
SCAR EXCOM 2017 Paper 10: Report on AntClim21 Activities and Plans
Antarctic Climate Change in the 21st Century (AntClim21), 2016-2017 Report
Agenda Item: 2.2
Person Responsible: T. Bracegirdle
Report Author(s): Tom Bracegirdle, Nancy Bertler, Alia Khan, Gerhard Krinner, Paul Mayewski, Marilyn Raphael, Joellen Russell
Summary of activities from 2016-17 and any other important issues or factors:
The main activities and changes this year have been:
- The third AntClim21 workshop was held as a side meeting to SCAR2016 in Kuala Lumpur. The focus was on climate model evaluation for improved climate projections of 21st century Antarctic and Southern Ocean climate change.
- The Steering Committee has been expanded to improve links with two key activities of World Climate Research Programme (WCRP), CliC and CORDEX, and to bring in expertise on sea ice. The former brings world leading sea ice expertise and the latter key links to the polar high-resolution climate modelling community (Polar CORDEX).
- Tom Bracegirdle has taken over from Nancy Bertler as Chair of the Steering Committee.
- A number of high impact papers have been published in the peer review literature.
- Planning for the upcoming #GreatAntarcticClimateHack (#GACH). workshop.
- Collaboration across different disciplines in the SCAR community.
- Initial plans for “Antarctic climate indicators” for climate monitoring.
- A session proposal for POLAR2018 has been accepted.