SCAR Executive Committee Meeting
31 July - 2 August, Brno, Czech Republic
SCAR EXCOM 2017 Paper 9: Report on AnT-ERA Activities and Plans
Antarctic Thresholds – Ecosystem Resilience and Adaptation (AnT-ERA), 2016-2017 Report
Agenda Item: 2.2
Person Responsible: J. Gutt
Report Author(s): Julian Gutt with SC members
Summary of activities from 2016-17 and any other important issues or factors:
- Scientific output. Two papers published/submitted as a unique product of AnT-ERA. More than 2000 additional papers fell into the scope of AnT-ERA.
- Capacity building. (a) Mini-workshop during OSC, 2016; (b) multiple support of the OSC by many AnT-ERA SC members; (c) approx. 12 additional events co-chaired, e.g. ANTOS meetings.
- Dissemination/products. Key "tool" is AnT-ERA webpage with ∼100,000 hits since 2013. Approx. 520 mailing list members. AnT-ERA contributed to SCAR products, e.g. ACCE and SCAR strategy plan, and other international initiatives/stakeholders requests such as IPBES and UNFCCC.
- Support of early-career scientists. 16 mini-grants awarded to applicants from approx. 10 countries. A summer school to be held 2018 in Argentina is in preparation.
- Research. Expeditions and projects under the leadership of AnT-ERA scientists: J. Xavier (JR16003), A. Takahashi (JARE-AP0922). I. Hogg Circum-Antarctic Expedition, AFBA-project, G. di Prisco, TEAM-fish (planned).