The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research´s (SCAR) Standing Committee on Antarctic Humanities and Social Sciences (SC-HASS) would like to invite the international polar research community to submit abstracts to the next biennial Humanities and Social Sciences Conference, be held 3-5 April 2019 in Ushuaia (Argentina), at the Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas (CADIC) – Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET).
CALL FOR PAPERS AND PANEL PROPOSALS
Antarctica may be thought of as a pristine natural environment, untouched by human disturbance, but human interactions with Antarctica have a long history and are receiving growing attention in the scholar community.
The humanities and social sciences provide important insights into the continent and challenge existing understandings of Antarctica’s past, present and future relationship with the rest of the world.
The main objectives of this conference are to provide a space for exchanging information about research in the Antarctic humanities and social sciences, stimulate and organise research ideas, and develop future collaborations.
We invite papers from all disciplinary fields in the social sciences, humanities and arts (including performing and creative arts) that engage with the Antarctic and southern oceans.
Both proposals for individual papers and interdisciplinary panels are welcome.
Topics of interests may include (but are not limited to):
- Antarctic gateway cities
- Antarctic future
- Antarctic historiography
- Antarctic literature
- Antarctic tourism
- Antarctic values
- Antarctica and the global commons
- Anthropocene in Antarctica
- Digging into the past: archives, artifacts, archaeology
- Environmental management
- Geopolitics of the polar regions
- History of polar science
- Human dimensions of environmental change
- Interdisciplinary polar research
- Interface between polar policy, law and science
- Media representations
- Polar heritage and museums
- Polar mobilities
- Public engagement with Antarctic research
- The Antarctic Treaty System and its challenges
Abstracts and panel proposals must be written in English and should be no longer than 500 words. Please submit a short biographical note of no more than 150 words along with the abstract. If you wish to submit multiple abstracts, please submit them all attached to the same email. All abstracts will be peer-reviewed.
- 15 September 2018: Deadline for abstract submission and panel proposal
- 1 October 2018: Notification of acceptance
Further dates regarding registration deadlines will be made available soon.
- Instituto Antártico Argentino
- Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas (CADIC) – Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET)
- Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego
- Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología de la Provincia de Tierra del Fuego
- Instituto Fueguino de Turismo
- Municipalidad de Ushuaia
- Fundación para la Conservación del Patrimonio Antártico
A small number of travel bursaries (generally of no more than USD 500) will be available to support early-career and unwaged researchers to attend the conference.
Accommodation and Travel
For further information about travel to or accommodation in Ushuaia, we would like to refer you to the Turismo Ushuaia app, available in English and Spanish for Apple and Android.