XXIX SCAR Delegates Meeting
17-19 July 2006, Hobart, Australia
SCAR XXIX IP11: Report of the Standing Committee on ATS (XXIX ATCM)
Infomation Paper 11
Agenda Item: 6.2.1
Posted/Revised: July 1
Person Responsible: Walton
- The meeting in Edinburgh took place at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre from 12-23 June 2006. A Committee on Environmental Protection (CEP) Workshop on strategy and planning on 9-10 June 2006 preceded this.
- The SCAR Delegation comprised Colin Summerhayes, David Walton and Marzena Kaczmarska for the whole period, with the addition of Steven Chown for the CEP week, Jörn Thiede for the first three days and Valerie Masson-Delmotte for the SCAR lecture. SCAR hosted a short reception immediately after the lecture to bring delegates together. Walton, Chown and Summerhayes also attended the CEP Workshop prior to ATCM.
- One day was devoted entirely to the IPY, and the ATCM agreed an IPY Declaration. The IPY will remain on the agenda for reporting and discussion until at least 2009. The IPY Programme Office attended the meeting in its own right.
- Romania began to take an active part this year and wishes to join SCAR to develop its science programmes. Belarus was admitted as an Observer country for the first time. The Czech Republic indicated its ongoing interest in joining SCAR, and that it plans to form an appropriate national committee.
- This was a good meeting for SCAR with plenty of evidence in both the CEP and the ATCM reports of the range and importance of the advice and information we provide.