SCAR Executive Committee Meeting
31 July - 2 August, Brno, Czech Republic
SCAR EXCOM 2017 Paper 4: Report of Physical Sciences Group AND Physical Sciences Group Reports
Agenda Item: 2.1
Includes group reports for: ACA, ACCE, ANTOS, ASPeCT, FRISP, GRAPE, IPICS, ISMASS, OpMet, PACT, AG Remote Sensing, SORP and TATE
- GRAPE is preparing a Scientific Research Programme proposal to be presented in Hobart in 2020 called RESOURCE (Radio Sciences Research on AntarctiC AtmospherE)
- PSG, OpMet, SORP, and SOOS are collaborating with the WMO’s Polar Prediction Project to establish the Year of Polar Prediction in the Southern Hemisphere (YOPP-SH). There was a major planning meeting held at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, USA in June 2017, and was targeted at entraining the oceanographic community into YOPP-SH.
- ASPeCt scientists organized and participated in the IGS International Symposium on The Cryosphere in a Changing Climate, held in February 2017 in New Zealand.
- FRISP: Organized two international workshops in Sweden and Norway.
- IPICS: Publication of joint special issue in Climate of the Past and Cryosphere resulting from the Second IPICS Open Science Conference (7-11 March, 2016, Hobart) that had significant funding from PSG in previous budgets.
- ISMASS is preparing a review paper on the contributions of the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets to future sea level under a 1.5°C warmer world for consideration by IPCC.